Saturday, March 22, 2014

Files

This is my second try on this post so I hope it actually saves this time.  

Okay, here is my latest DIM project.  
I had to create some kind of filing systems because as you can see below, I had quite the mess on my desk.  My previous system: black file cabinet to the left with receipts in large manilla envelopes from the previous 4 years, lots of stacks on top of desk, file/storage boxes under desk.  

It was NOT working! I could not find a document if I wanted one and I had so many pages crammed in the file that it was literally falling apart.

I forgot to take the step by step pictures but I will explain the process.  
I started with the bottom drawer and thought it would be easiest to just ModPodge an entire piece of scrap paper on the drawer then do a second piece over top to cover the last opening.  This turned out to be quite challenging and was hard to get the entire piece to lay flat.  
On the 2nd drawer, I decided to tear strips of the paper and try that.  It worked so much easier and it a little more interesting looking.   
I am not sure I love the final look yet but I just wanted to get to filing my papers so I left it for now.  I might try it again this summer when I have more time to experiment with it.  

I saw on another blog (can't remember the name now) a very effective filing system that was all color coded and in a super cute filing cabinet with nice little baskets on top.  While I did not want to spend that kind of money, I figured I could make something similar that would do the job.  It may not look like much, but it is wonderful to have labeled files for all of our important documents.  They are so much easier to file and find now!


Here is the final product.  You can see that I kept the black file cabinet as it is still storing some crafting items and the perfect spot for my lovely plant.  Notice how I can actually have a chair at my desk now because I do not have all those silly filing boxes underneath.  I tried to match the scrapbooking paper to my chairs (grey chevron) with the hopes that a chair might be near the file drawers. 
Yes! 
Success!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment